Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Specialists Help Restore Patients’ Quality of Life
When children are born with deformities or injured through traumatic events, their health is not the only thing that suffers. The resulting disfigurement often prevents them from interacting normally in everyday life, causing potentially damaging emotional consequences.
University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital’s Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery offers advanced treatment options that can restore a child’s appearance and improve his or her quality of life. For both birth-related (congenital) and acquired deformities, our division brings together an expert team that is specially trained to work with children.
The division offers diagnosis and treatment in the following areas of expertise:
- Our cleft lip or cleft palate experts effectively treat children born with cleft lips and palates, while our craniofacial specialists handle congenital and acquired deformities of the skull and facial bones.
- The vascular anomalies team diagnoses and treats disorders of the blood vessels of the skin. These are typically congenital disorders including hemangioma and arteriovenous malformation.
- The pediatric plastic surgery team works to correct physical defects—both congenital and acquired. Examples of procedures include burn reconstruction, ear reconstruction, tissue expansion for large birthmarks and correction of facial paralysis.
Collaborative Medicine Yields Superior Results
The Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery uses a team approach for treating children who are born with a cleft lip and/or palate, as well as craniofacial and vascular anomalies. Physicians from various medical specialties collaborate to design personalized treatment plans that help ensure successful outcomes for our young patients.
We scheduled consultations so that patients and their families can see a team of specialists, usually in a single visit. The cleft and craniofacial team includes experts in:
- Plastic surgery
- Pediatric dentistry
- Oral maxillofacial surgery
- Developmental pediatrics
- Speech and occupational therapy
The vascular anomalies team consists of experts in:
Extensive Experience Optimizes Quality of Patient Care
Few other centers have experienced the sheer volume of surgical cases that have been successfully treated at UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital. Each case is an opportunity for the team to expand upon its knowledge of effective treatments and refine its techniques. Patients directly benefit from this high level of experience, especially in rare conditions and situations.
Unlike most hospitals, our team offers specialized plastic surgery services including facial reanimation, which benefits children who are born without the ability to use their facial muscles. As the first surgeons in Ohio to pioneer this procedure, we have successfully helped many children to smile for the first time by using tissue and functioning nerves from elsewhere in the body.
In support of our plastic surgeons, a dedicated pediatric anesthesia team stands ready to help ensure patient comfort and safety during routine surgeries and emergency procedures. Our surgical anesthesiologists are specially trained to work with babies and young children.