Specialized Care for the Behavioral Health Needs of Women
The University Hospitals Department of Psychiatry delivers comprehensive behavioral health care to women across the lifespan. Working collaboratively with OB-GYN specialists and primary care doctors, we offer a unique and innovative program that is sensitive to the psychological health of women and specializes in managing psychological concerns around pregnancy and post-partum care, pregnancy loss, infertility, premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), menopause and female sexual dysfunction.
- Preconception evaluatiOn and counseling for women who are considering pregnancy and have concerns about maintaining their emotional wellness or managing their psychiatric medications during this transition.
- Specialty consultation for womenen who are in established psychiatric care and desire input from one of our specialized psychiatrists on managing their treatment during the pregnancy or postpartum period. After one or two consultation sessions, feedback and recommendations are provided to both the patient and her outpatient provider.
- Evaluation and ongoing management for women who do not have a psychiatrist. After a thorough initial evaluation we will provide feedback and work collaboratively to develop a treatment plan.
- Consultation and liaison services are provided to support our colleagues in Obstetrics and Gynecology to better care for their patients who are admitted to the hospital.
- Maternal mental health program in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit allows us to meet with mothers and fathers of babies in the NICU for psychiatric evaluation and treatment.