Weight Loss Surgery Options at Three Accredited Centers in Northeast Ohio
Our weight loss management program at University Hospitals is the only medical weight loss program in the state of Ohio with three programs accredited by the American College of Surgeons, Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation & Quality Improvement Program. Our centers at UH Cleveland Medical Center, UH Geauga Medical Center and UH Parma Medical Center all are accredited with this important designation.
If weight loss surgery is part of your treatment plan, our highly experienced bariatric surgeons and staff offer individualized support for patients – before, during and after surgery. Many of our skilled staff are people who have had weight loss surgery themselves. So, they understand the journey and know how to help our patients achieve long-term success.
Utilizing Minimally Invasive Weight Loss Procedures
Weight loss procedures are an option for patients who have not succeeded at diets and other weight loss efforts. Our program offers both minimally invasive and endoscopic weight loss procedures to fit each patient's unique weight loss and health needs. We offer several types of weight loss surgery including:
- Duodenal switch: This biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch is a more complex bariatric surgical technique that combines a sleeve gastrectomy with the rerouting of your digestion path away from your small intestine. This surgery also changes the normal way you break down food so fewer calories are absorbed for increased weight loss.
- Gastric bypass: Also known as Roux-en-Y gastric bypass weight loss surgery, this procedure reduces the size of your upper stomach to a small pouch to reduce the amount of food you can eat which leads to weight loss.
- Revisional surgery of previous weight loss operations: If previous weight loss surgery has not been successful for you, or if you have experienced complications, our team can provide a thorough health assessment and viable recommendations.
- Sleeve gastrectomy: With this bariatric surgery procedure, our surgeon removes about 80% of your stomach, making more of a tube shape or sleeve. With a smaller stomach, you will feel fuller faster.
Weight Loss Achievement Improves Health Risks
Our GI specialists help patients achieve their long-term weight loss goals, but also improve many other areas of concern. With a successful history of weight loss management, we help patients understand obesity and how weight loss considerably reduces the occurrence of obesity-related health problems, including:
- High Cholesterol
- Diabetes and high blood sugar
- High blood pressure or hypertension
- Osteoarthritis pain
- Sleep apnea
- Some cancers
- Urinary incontinence
Strong Support Boosts Weight Loss Success
During any weight loss journey, patients have access to an entire team of weight loss professionals to assist with comprehensive care. Members of our experienced staff include:
- Bariatric surgeons
- Bariatric certified nurses
- Bariatric certified dietitians
- Bariatric certified nurse practitioners
- Insurance specialists
- Primary care provider
- Support staff
We have a strong regional presence with multiple weight loss management support groups to give patients access to support close to home. Unlike many weight loss management programs, we charge no program fee. We encourage our patients to find a program that fits their lifestyle – either one-on-one sessions or attending a class – to build a support team while working through their personalized program.
- Medically Supervised Weight Loss Groups
- Pre- and Post-Surgical Diet plan for weight loss
- Pre- and post-surgical weight loss exercise plan
Making Weight Loss Surgery Affordable
Our experienced financial counselors put weight loss surgery within reach for most patients. We advise patients to ensure they are informed of the costs associated with the different weight loss procedures. If patients are interested in paying out-of-pocket for bariatric surgery, our financial counselors can guide them through the process.
Offering Patients and Team a Celebration of Success Gala
Our annual Bariatric Gala affords patients and staff to celebrate the weight loss success and improved health of the attendees.
Learn More about Surgical Weight Loss Options
If you have questions about weight concerns or want to learn more about surgical procedures for weight loss that may be right for you, contact one of our team members at a location close to you.