Over 600 Active Clinical Trials Are in Progress across University Hospitals
A clinical trial is a research study to answer specific questions about new therapies or new ways of using established treatments. Clinical trials are used to determine whether new drugs or treatments are both safe and effective. Most current drug therapies were initially developed in past clinical trials.
Each clinical trial is approved by the Institutional Review Board (IRB), a panel of health care professionals and interested community members, to ensure that risks are monitored and federal guidelines are followed. The University Hospitals IRB ensures the rights and welfare of people participating in clinical trials both before and during their trial participation. University Hospitals Human Research Protection Program is accredited by the Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs, Inc. (AAHRPP).
Or call, 1-833-78TRIAL
Patient Research Education
Visit our Patient Research Education page to learn about clinical trials, common research terms and definitions, your rights as a research participant, questions to ask your doctor before participating, and to see other Frequently Asked Questions.
Volunteering for Clinical Research
UH participates in a program called ResearchMatch, which is a registry of volunteers willing to learn more about research studies. Research needs both volunteers and researchers. ResearchMatch helps bring these two groups together in a secure and convenient way.
Additional Resources for Participants and Volunteers
For additional information on participating in clinical research studies:
- AAHRPP – Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs, Inc.
- CISCRP – The Center for Information and Study on Clinical Research Participation
- Center Watch – Clinical trials listing service
- ClinicalTrials.gov – Search federal government database of clinical trials.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA) – Participating in Clinical Trials – For Patients and Patient Advocates
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) – Clinical Center participation information
- Medline Plus – Clinical trials interactive tutorial (also available in Spanish)
- Becoming a Research Volunteer
Contact Clinical Research
Contact us for more information.