Health Scholars Internship Program
Internship Opportunities for Minority Students Interested in a Career in Medicine
University Hospitals Health Scholars Internship program is a year-round educational opportunity for underrepresented minority Cleveland-area students who are interested in pursuing a career in medicine.
Conceived by University Hospitals Office of Community Supports, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, UH Health Scholars Internship Program is a continuous five-year program for students who participate during both the school year and summers. The purpose of the program is to help build an educational portfolio for students committed to pursuing a career in medicine.
Health scholars receive guidance in applying to college and enrolling in medical school with the ultimate goal of becoming physicians at University Hospitals, practicing in the Cleveland area where they grew up.
Program Features and Benefits
Scholars meet once a week throughout the school year to learn essential academic and professional skills. These skills include deep dives into sciences with relation to medicine, standardized test preparation, communication styles, leadership experience, and much more.
Scholars are frequently invited to special events sponsored by UH and its affiliates throughout the year, which provides vital exposure to health professions.
- Approaches to problem solving school-related assignments, critical thinking and executive functioning skills necessary for academic or professional success
- Themes linking human physiology to their school courses in biology, chemistry, physics and biochemistry
- Current events in the field of medicine
- Best practices and strategies to address social determinants of health
- Standardized testing skills
Scholars also participate through:
- Shadowing UH physicians
- Project based learning opportunities
- Self-directed community health projects
- Field trips
- Expert-led workshops in leadership, finance, health professions and more
For more information, please contact the Health Scholars program director, Lissette Lopez Piepenburg: Lissette.Piepenburg@UHhospitals.org.